Re: Re: good music bad music

On Thu, 11 May 2000 22:15:25 CDT brian abbott <barabas0 at hotmail_com> wrote:

--however, i can also relate to people's cynicism toward pop music. some pop
music has some good melodies.  it initially falls nicely on your ear.
there's a part of you that might enjoy it, but there's this other part in
you that cringes.  it's because there is something missing.  it's well
polished, well produced; every hair is in place, there's a smile at every
turn,
it's all sunshine and blue skies.  it reminds me of a covergirl.  or like
when you meet certain very pretty girls.  they're attractive at first, but
give it some time.  it usually turns out to be a big turn off.  all the
makeup, all the facades, saying the right words, hitting all the right
notes.  it's not really.--

I think I agree.  I'm not condoning a steady diet of fluff, mind you.  I think anyone who refuses to be challenged, resists expanding their horizons, or only swallows what 99.7 tells them is good should not complain because they are not being taken seriously.  At the same time, what some refer to as "ear candy" serves a ligitimate purpose.  I think most pop music is fluffy crap.  But there are some examples - those I mentioned in an earlier post - that do stand out.  They are examples of quality musicianship and are timeless.  This would include "Could It Be Magic" and "Killing Me Softly", but not much, if anything, by Britney, Christina or Savage Garden.

-- happy music is cool too. but life is not a pristine garden in a
palace court.  it's more like the uncivilized wood with weeds and
wildflowers, and ominous ravines, and grassy knolls, etc. . .--

True, but we do hopefully get to spend some time in the pristine gardens of life.  If not, that is at least a longing we share.  I believe music should reflect that common experience also.