Re: Re: good music bad music

On Thu, 11 May 2000 20:32:24 EDT Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:

--I think people are afraid of looking silly and ignorant when they listen
to "simple" music, as if it somehow implies they couldn't possibly handle
anything more complex.--

But are Bob Dylan and Rage In the Machine really more complex than Elton John and Toto - musically speaking?

--Having said that, of course, I think Peter Mulvey is utterly brilliant,
but he seems to concentrate mostly on the minutiae of daily inner life,
much like, say, Jane Austen. And while both of them are astonishingly
talented, i don't think anyone's ever called them tragic (unless you
count the mysterious wasting disease that slowly and painfully killed
Jane), so maybe there's hope.--

Yeah, Ms. Austin sets up a great comparison.  Our critic friends would probably discount her writing in favor of the "more ligitimate" William Burroughs.  Maybe...