Re: lyrics and interpreting and.....

>From: Dusty Volume <marquis at icx_net>

>My love is a fever:
>See, I've never even thought of that song as anything more than a well
>written ode to hormonal affection.  The song itself is sexy.  I mean
>sometimes I get turned on just listening to it.  It has that wailing
>guitar and those drums, Karin singing those metaphors in that dripping
>wet with emotion voice of hers.  The up and down cadence of the whole
>song.  The tentativeness, mixed with the full speed ahead driving
>chords.  The whispering, the longing.  I could go on and on.  I just
>think you're trying to put too much into it Brian my boy.
>
>I totally disagree with you're stance on interpretation.  I mean I agree
>there are wrong interpretations of things, but were not sitting on that
>fine line here, are we?
>
>Take for example Gulliver's Travels.  I first read it as a child and
>loved it.  It took me away to Lilliput and Brobdignag.  I took
>everything literally and it moved me.  Much later in college, I find out
>that Swift wrote the thing as a political satire and there's all these
>inside jokes, and satirical devices that, unless you were alive at the
>time, don't really mean much to the average reader.  I mean yeah, it's
>great to study this stuff for the method, but I liked the story much
>better when I really thought there were giants and tiny people that
>could be urinated upon etc., etc.  There were even lots of his
>contemporaries who felt this way too.
>
>I guess I'm glad I know why Swift wrote that, I just didn't need to know
>any of it to enjoy the story.  That's my point here.  These lyrics are
>so good, and I have enough love for the music, that although I would
>enjoy knowing what was behind it, it's not necessary for me to really
>dig the song.  Maybe some folks needed to know that that last guy who
>picks up Gulliver is the satirical norm--that he was a christ-like
>figure.  I necessarily didn't.
>
>So, to each his own, man.  If you really need to dig around in Linford's
>head to enjoy the music, go for it.  All I ask is that you post it here
>when you find out.
>
>:)

actually i agree with what you are saying.  like i said before, i get the
impression that i'm missing alot of the substance behind otr's songs, i.e.
lyrics.  if i couldn't enjoy their music without full comprehension i
wouldn't be listening to as much of their stuff. however, i know there's
more and it will unravel itself little by little, and never at all.  someone
said in a response that it's beautiful how we sporatically experience little
epiphanies as we experience each song.  that is beautiful.  i don't want to
make this too deep, but it's like life in a way.  part of what it means to
be a student of life is to admit that you don't have all the answers, rest
in that, and let them come. this applies to varies things. no need for
unrest. just trust the force, luke.  if linford happened to come out with a
book i'd be putting my dylan biography down rapidly. . .

thanks for your thoughts mister dusted valium,
;-)
brian