Re: lyrics and interpreting and.....

>the approach to interpretation which is centered around
>the interpreters whims is not something i care for.

but then again "my love is a fever" *might* just be
jibberish that doesn't necessarily mean anything
directly... so the interpreter opinion may vary.
note: i didn't say "whims" in my first post.

i don't really think interp of song lyrics and interp
of the bible are on the same level.  do you?

>to insert our own ideas at the expense of theirs is
>not what they wanted.  it's not intellectually honest,
>furthermore, and it's the difference between
>ice-cream cones and filet mignon.

sometimes it *is* what they wanted.  i've talked to many
artists who enjoy the fact that people are getting many
different things out of their songs.  somethings are not
so direct.

also, i think that even if an artist wrote a song about
something specific, that doesn't automatically knock out
other interps as invalid.  there are many songs where i
know what the artist is speaking of, but in some instances
parts of the song speak to me in a very different way.
art does that.  there can be many different valid opinions.

thanks for your post, i liked it.

Dan

np: ben folds five - naked baby photos

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/