Re: has the list limped to the side of the wrong road?

> > Subject: has the list limped to the side of the wrong road?
>
> [blah blah snipped]

This was not 'blah-blah.' In fact, I thought it was one of the only posts in
a long time that should have been on this list...or that I welcomed into my
mailbox.

Last weekend, I was talking to some people who used to be participants in
this quaint community. They/we likened being a listee to being an alcoholic.
Once you're in, you never really leave...even if you try to stop reading,
it's hard.

I think I'm realizing that maybe not everyone feels this way...I mean...I
care. I care about the music, I care about the people, I care about the
feelings. I understand jokes...I laugh at sarcasm, and I cringe when I hear
things that could be misconstrued as hurtful. Now, I know many of you
listees personally, some more than others, and I know that often true
intentions are different that how words come across, but if I feel pain for
someone else when I read words directed at them...is it just that I'm too
sensitive, or is it that some other people aren't?

You can't hide behind words by saying they are "only words". It just doesn't
make sense. A person's word is supposed to be the way they express
themselves, the way they extend their integrity beyond themselves, the way
they make promises and the way they keep them. .

So maybe the people that post/say things that make my heart break...maybe
those people aren't the listaholics that we were discussing last Friday
night...maybe they don't really care about the people involved or the hearts
that read this list, or the music that inspired the beginning of this
community. Maybe that's why they can say the things they see...even if they
mean them in jest...but know that they might be taken seriously by
unsuspecting readers.

> > curious as to how
> > this disparity could have happened.
>
> What disparity?