Re: ya know what gets me....

g'mornin', everyone.

before i forget, i think joan osborne did "what if god was one of us"...i'm
not absolutely certain, but it wasn't jewel.  (as an aside, however, i've
noticed that jewel has a lot to say about God and the concept of sin on her
album "spirit")

it's early, and i've stumbled to the keyboard while clinging to my caffeine
i.v., but i'll try to articulate a few thoughts in general response to all
of the recent posts on christianity.
first, thank you, jg, for welcoming plain jane's post and the animated
dialogue that has accompanied it.  quite honestly, you seem to be much more
welcoming of her comments than i have as a christian.    also, thanks to amy
romania and rhys for some insightful, balanced comments.  (actually,
everyone's been pretty balanced)

i guess the strongest reaction i've had throughout this discussion is a huge
distaste for calling a band, or any other *thing* "christian"...only
individuals can be believers, which brings me to the whole touchy subject of
whether or not anyone has a right to judge whether another person is a
*real* christian or not...  it makes me extremely uncomfortable to hear
people try to judge the faith of karin and linford.  the only way i can gain
any true understanding of anyone's faith is by knowing them on a personal
level, seeing how they love those around them, watching them wrestle deeply
with issues of belief.  i may be wrong, but i'm fairly certain that most of
us on this list, or at least those who have vetured to judge the faith of
otr members, don't have the kind of relationship with karin and linford that
allows the level of accountability some seem to be holding them to.
mercifully, their ultimate responsibility for their faith isn't to us, but
to God.  on the other hand, the bible makes it clear that you can judge a
person's faith by their "fruit," or  the results of their actions.  i know
that the music of otr has greatly influenced me on a spiritual level--it's
helped me to understand the love of God in a fresh way, and has stretched
the box that i often tend to put Christ into...it has helped me to see
beauty in places that i had neglected to look...it has taught me a bit about
honesty...  regardless of the motives or inspiration behind it, their music
has produced lovely fruit.

>think how to get right.   anyway,  "religious overtones"  again.   Must be
>Christian,  huh?   But wait,  you see the video!?   Jesus, she's got a nose
>ring!!   Can't be a Christian!   Or at least not as good a Christian as
>Plain Jane,   and that brings me right back to the point.

so, i guess that my tattoo eliminates me from the list of the truly
righteous, eh?

>wait, wait, wait,  i don't wanna stop yet.   Did plain jane call us sheep?
>flocking to the band over and over?  something like that, anyway?
>No, i don't think i like that, either.   there's lots of bands (and other
>things)  that i've seen time and time again,  and never once did i consider
>myself a little sheep.    but since her post isn't here now for me to see
>just what she wrote and how she wrote it,  i think i will stop after all.

i don't have the post right in front of me either, but i think that jane may
have been referring to the christians as sheep, just as jesus did in the
bible.

ok, i've said my little bit--now it's time to go to work.

happy day,
amyjoy