Re: ya know what gets me....

hi.

> before i forget, i think joan osborne did "what if god was one of
us"...i'm
> not absolutely certain, but it wasn't jewel.

i knew i wasn't right but i couldn't think of ms  osborne's name then.   i
don't have either of their albums,  maybe that's why,  or i'm just really
stupid.    could go either way.  thanks for the clarification.

> first, thank you, jg, for welcoming plain jane's post and the animated
> dialogue that has accompanied it.  quite honestly, you seem to be much
more
> welcoming of her comments than i have as a christian.

maybe because since i'm not a christian,  what she said about certain
christians  didn't hit me with the same kind of impact it may have got you
with.    what did hit me was the sanctimonious tone she used.   i objected
to that,  and again, i was taken back to another time.   used to be that my
"world view"  of Christians was that they were more often than not just like
plain jane,  {or how i perceive plain jane to be from her one post-not too
fair, i know},  all pious and wishing to change everyone to the one and only
religion,  and were people i'd  want to associate with almost as much as i'd
want to hang with racists or bigots.   knowing all of you christians on the
list has completly changed my mind,  and i've since altered my "world view"
and i think you are all pretty splendid ppl.   in other words,  i was wrong.
then pj comes along and snaps me back into that old mind-set,   temporarily,
~and~ ( a small point but one not lost on me as i think about this )  she
comes along as a newbie on ~my~  list and starts  dissing the ppl in ~my~
band.  i ain't gonna have it!  don't make me do a drive-by your crib and
bust  a cap in your ass, pj!  (figuratively speaking,  of course).

> >ring!!   Can't be a Christian!   Or at least not as good a Christian as
> >Plain Jane,   and that brings me right back to the point.
>
> so, i guess that my tattoo eliminates me from the list of the truly
> righteous, eh?

amy, i don't care if you have a tattoo stretching from your left little toe
to the crown of your head,  and every erogenous zone you've got is pierced
and gauged and chained together and you hang weights, too.   so, as far as
~i'm~  concerned you can be as righteous as you think you are,   but i know
that there are those more fundamentalist thinkers that agree with your
sentence above.   remember the ms. osborne song i was thinking about
earlier?    when it was a radio song,  it was fine,  but when ppl saw the
nose ring on the empty-vee  some turned on her,  and said she wasn't a
proper religious girl.   (or whatever the fundamentalists say about ppl who
don't measure up to their standard of christianity,  and that's how pj was
coming off)
side note:  please show me your tattoo.

> >wait, wait, wait,  i don't wanna stop yet.   Did plain jane call us
sheep?

yeah, she did,  and she did it again today.   is this "sheep"  thing a
disparaging remark or a term for us as a collective of losties,  kinda like
how we learned what a "grape"  was last week?    pj,  what do you mean?  why
are we sheep?   maybe it's just a biblical thing?    confused a little,  but
not sure i like it.

and just so that i can do this in one post,  i'll address that thing where
pj says that OtR  knows that their audience contains a lot of christians and
they play to that.
OtR knows that their audience also contains a lot of English majors  and
lesbians as well.   (this is on the little trading cards they used to give
away).     well, there's lots of references to books and art in things OtR,
so i guess they play to the English and Art majors,  but i don't see too
many Sapphic references in their stuff.  what should i infer?    that they
want to play english majors like fiddles but would prefer  to drive away the
lesbian contingent?   or that they play on and draw from their strengths,
but since Karin and Terri aren't lesbian  (as far as i know)  that can't be
one of the strengths they can pull from.
and ( i hate to bring this up because it's a somewhat distasteful idea)
remember that OtR  is a business,  they don't have  "real jobs"  anymore,
and any successful business really oughta know their demographic target
audience,  shouldn't they?   perhaps they do dangle the christian carrot
every now and then to play someone like a fiddle,  i don't know.   perhaps.
but i'll bet they do it just because it's a part of them.     what do you
want,  a mail-in rebate?

i think i'm done.    thanks for listening.
jg