Re: ya know what gets me....

Okay, here's my take on all this.

1.  plain jane is a moniker another listee is using.  I'd venture a
guess from the diction and word usage and accuse either Bruce, or Drew.
But I could be wrong, cuz  I just like accusing Bruce & Drew of random
things. :)

2.  AmySmiles is really coming out of her shell.  Amy, that last post of
yours, I thought you were Ysobelle for the first coupla paragraphs! Keep
em coming.

3.As far as otr and christianity goes. I think that they inspire me in a
way that no other alleged "christian" band ever has.  When I listen to
Otr, I'm amazed at their talent and the way it's blossomed over the last
10 years.  Frankly, that moves me in ways nothing else can.  When I
listen to them I find that the powerful beauty in their music stirs me
to get out and forge my own path to becoming the best that I can be in
*my* life.  I consider this to be not only a God given talent, but also
a personal sacrifice on the parts of the band.  We all know that with
the talents they have they could easily be making tons of money doing
some sort of "Genie in the Bottle" type work.  Instead, they choose to
"make their lives works of art," and that is much more honorable than
someone who flaunts christianity as a selling tool, or hides behind that
label as they create the same old work, year after year.  I think that
God wants us to excel and be the things he has planned for us.  I do
agree that even the most humble act is just as important, like say an
old man with a cracked and pitiful voice getting up in the middle of
church to sing praises to God, but I also believe that God has a plan
for that man and if he truly cannot sing or be trained to sing then
there's a limited number of people he will be able to reach that way.  I
believe that too many Christians choose music as their decided "gift"
just because it's popular, or easier, or desirable.  But what we need
are more Christians who are willing to find their niche and become they
can be as a doctor, or psychologist, or restaurant owner.   The point is
there's so much in the world that's wrong, we need Christians to be role
models in all fields.  That's where the biggest difference will be
seen.  It's not just praise and worship, or preaching that changes
people, it's also seeing a person succeed without compromising their
beliefs, or stepping all over anyone who gets in their way.  I believe
that otr has accomplished this.  They are leading by example--something
far more difficult than leading by words.

-m

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
               Robert Frost-- "The Road Not Taken"

"The wind blows cold when you reach the top
It feels like someone's face is stuck to the bottom of my shoe
But I got a plastic Jesus and cordless telephone
for every corner of my room."
                  Jewel--"Down so Long"