moth

 Moth has been my favorite OTR song since the very first time I heard it. It is one of those songs that I have carefully spaced out listening to for fear that it may lose some meaning and emotion through repeated playing. Kind of like when you hear a song on the radio 100 times that you may have liked at first, but it drives you batty now. Anyway, I guess I never quite knew why this song had such an effect on me until I read some of your comments about it's meaning. For me, the song is about letting go of pain, and recognizing who you are, what you believe in, and seeing the the path of destruction that you left behind, and/or that someone left on you. After a long, intensely painful, and intensely wonderful relationship I had, I spent about two years grieving over it, and abusing myself in all sorts of ways. Then one day I let it all go. You eventually stop being addicted to your own pain and self-pity. I think the realization that those things are for naught explains the line "There's no saviour hanging on this cross..". There are greater things to carry a cross for than one's own self. I also think that the  voice in the song, having come to these revelations, recognizes the journey they have taken to reach their epiphany, and are fiecely proud that they have survived the journey with their beliefs intact.