RE: moth

Hi, Jeni, great thoughts on what that is fast becoming my favorite song; I
seem to like it more and more with each listen.  I enjoyed the Annie Dillard
quote, too; it really led me to think about "Moth" in a way I never had
before.  I'd like to toss my two cents into the discussion as well...

			> I'll admit that that "there's no saviour"
			> line was hard to
			> get past at times.  I think if you take it in
			> context though, it's
			> easier to swallow.--- Which leads to the question,
			> "What context,
			> Mark?"

	perhaps I am being too simple...but the context seems to be the rest
of that line.  "there's not savior hanging on this cross."  and there's not,
is there?  I mean, Christians believe he rose again, right? :)
	If the cause is, as you put it "unjust, selfish, or otherwise
needless," then Christ WOULDN'T be on the cross, right?

My sentiments exactly!  That's precisely how I've interpreted that line from
the first time I heard the song.  The way I see it, the fact that Christ is
no longer on the cross validates my faith.  As a Christian, it's easy to see
where my perspective comes from, but that interpretation just makes sense to
me.  One line I have a perspective on that I don't think anyone has
commented on is:
		if you were to take my place tonight
		wouldn't Jesus be surprised
My take on this line is that they are saying, in essence, "if I could, I'd
give up my place in heaven for you."  I know that's not too deep an
analysis, but sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.  Thanks to all
for stretching my mind a bit on a Monday morning.  Seems like that's
something that doesn't happen often enough...

CHRIS QUEEN
Chris_Queen at bscc_bls.com

		> I think I responded to your moth post once before,
		> but strangely enough,
		> I was just wishing a little while ago that I could
		> find that post with
		> this A.D. quote. Interesting, aye?

		Yes, you did respond...and one other person did.  But
		that time I hadn't actually put the quote IN my
		email...so now you have it. :-)

		> I'll admit that that "there's no saviour"
		> line was hard to
		> get past at times.  I think if you take it in
		> context though, it's
		> easier to swallow.--- Which leads to the question,
		> "What context,
		> Mark?"

		perhaps I am being too simple...but the context seems
		to be the rest of that line.  "there's not savior
		hanging on this cross."  and there's not, is there?  I
		mean, Christians believe he rose again, right? :)
		Also, as far as you were saying with the metaphorical
		martyrdom, it fits that,as well.  If the cause is, as
		you put it "unjust, selfish, or otherwise needless,"
		then Christ WOULDN'T be on the cross, right?

		You know, I think what's cools about interpretation is
		that a song could mean something totally different to
		many people (and I don't think our ideas are totally
		different, Mark), and still be valid and contextually
		based.  Who knows what people mean EXACTLY when they
		write things.  If Linford and Karin wrote so that we
		could understand without thinking much, we probably
		wouldn't like it much.

		And, when it comes down to it, this is a damn good
		song.

		You know, I am crying buckets over not being able to
		afford the Calvin college faith and writing
		conference.  Not only could I see Linford, karin,
		buddy, julie, ashley and kenny (all artists I adore),
		but I could hear my hero of the moment, anne lamott,
		SPEAK.  geez.

		sigh.

		Hope everyone's sunday is dandy.  My fiance just
		brought me breakfast, isn't he sweet?

		love, jeni