Re: Greetings and Salutations!

hi.

it was 10 til 7 in the morning  and i didn't have time to do this any
justice unless i skipped my bath,  and,  ewwww,   i don't think we wanna do
that.
now it's more like 10 til 8 at night,  and i see that the only reply Denise
got was mine......kinda sorry about that but it does point out the changes
to the list since she left.
to refresh your memories,  Denise said.....

> Hey all! I'm back!!  Some of you knew me as LOK N KEE,
> some of you knew me as Denise, most of you knew me as
> Stefanie (Riehle) Gardner's little sister.

then she said,  perhaps not knowing just how true this is....

>  Actually,
> most of you probably don't know me at all.

and then to help tie this all together, she said....

>My how the times
> change.....so bring me up to date people!  What's
> going on in OTR land???  (I've been out of the loop
> forever...)
>
> Denise

you have been gone for a while, haven't you?    what's it been,  6 months?
12 months?    18 months?   24 months?  :-)    you ~must~  send a little
photo attachment of the little Nachtigal addition  to the list!   those who
don't know you don't have to click on it.    so what's happening here?
Well,  kinda sorta lately Actwin dot com has been dropping ppl's posts,  so
i'm sure that accounts for the whole day going by and nobody else saying
"hi"  to you, because some of us are still here who were here back in your
day.    At some point,  somebody named this group of losties the "A-list",
but more on that later.  Right now to explain the Actwin thing.....you post
something and it disappears.   some people get the post,  others don't,  or
maybe it shows up in the digest but not on the live-feed.    this was a
topic of conversation a short while ago.   maybe actwin has cleaned
themselves up of this problem.

what else?

while you were busy making/having/nursing babies,  the band Cowboy Junkies
picked up Over the Rhine as their touring opening act,  and they liked them
so well that
a)  they added some over the rhine members to the junkies stage during
junkies sets
b)  they picked them up again for this years tour as well
c)  Over the Rhine even borrows some (well, one)  Junkies tour band members
when they go on gigs without the Junkies.

as a result of this exposure,  the list has been visited by some members of
the Cowboy Junkies listmembers  (i suppose you know who you are)  and even
more importantly,  they got the attention (again)  of some record A&R
people,  and some record labels began courting them to sign another
contract.
The most important of these companies was Capitol Records,  who flew OtR
here and there and paid for them to make demo's.    Ultimately,  OtR  didn't
sign the contract with Capitol because they didn't see eye to eye on how to
market the band and stay true to the muse,  but it was good because then OtR
had these demo's to shop around to other companies,  and they didn't even
have to pay for the studio time!  good deal,  huh?
this leads us to recent news that a Virgin Records subsidiary Back Porch
Records has signed OtR a month or two ago,  and Linford insisted they
re-release Good Doggie Bad Doggie  so that Ric and Brian could  benefit from
the sales (presumably)  and also because having been released independently,
it didn't get the sales push it deserved back in the day.   Not only are
Back Porch willing to re-release GDBD, they also seem willing to re-release
the other back catalogue as well,   over time.      Isn't that cool?  (ummm,
yes)

Going out of order here, but since i just mention Brian and Ric,  now seems
a good time to let you know that Brian has left the band again.   Linford
says the door is open for him to come back,  but i don't think either party
is ready to rejoin just yet.   Brian flew over to Europe (northern Europe??)
recently with Ric on a Monk tour,  so at least he's working!

Hmmmmm,  what else?

There have been other lostie gatherings at Kent's Brady's Cafe,  where you
yourself gathered once,  and  another is coming up in February for the big
~welcome back to the states you sweet thing Amy Romania~ party,  but i think
i'll let that dangle there and Bink will pick it up and fill you full of
details.   Amy Romania has been here for awhile,  so maybe you remember her?
Anyway,  in that above paragraph i mentioned Bink and Brady's Cafe,  and
there is a connection there that needs to be celebrated  (more than one,
actually)  so here goes that tale.....
(i know i'm gonna get the details wrong....)  so bink comes to town to see
somebody play  (was it Anne E. DeChant?  was it Pop Monet?  was it Over the
Rhine?)  and while he's here he kinda finds he likes Brady's Cafe,  so he
talks to Bonny and slips her one of his CD's  and next thing you know he's
got a date to play there.  woo~hoo!   soon there's a lostie gathering and
bink is a hit.     he's a hit enough so that Bonny invites him back again.
yay, bink.   you go boy.    Confidence inspired,  he begins to ask at OtR
shows if he can open for them.  We'll get to Dayton's Canal Street show in a
minute....  well, for whatever reason,    the bink/OtR  gig connection
hasn't been made yet,  but  we find the Vigilantes of Love are rolling into
town here and guess who scored the opening act slot for that gig?    yeah,
right,  bink did!   and that's really cool because bink loves VoL so that
was a joy for him, i know.
And i mentioned Dayton,  because another fairly big lostie get together
happening place seems to be Canal Street.   At one of these gatherings
Lostie Lynzi  met for the first time Lostie Edward Jay.   some of us hung
together after the show in our hotel room,  including those two,  (you
remember hotel rooms with losties, right? well,  it was a little like that
time but without the alcohol and without the ice cream)  and there must have
been some sparks flying,  because they became a couple right after that.

some of the regulars have disappeared,  those who were on the appointed
"A-List"  have dropped away,  as it should be,  to make room for ppl making
up a new "A- List."   Some are still here,  bink,  ysoie,  steve,  for
example,   but you gotta introduce  yourself to the new A-List, which i'm
thinking is Kelvin,  Fred,  Amy Joy,  Kevin.....and Drew!!
Drew would be "comeback of the year!"  in spades!    Drew went through a
silent period there for awhile,  but when he came back, he came back with a
vengeance,  and carried with him ~all things Drew~.  stick around and you'll
see what i mean.   it's entertaining as hell.
Chris Emery of the two-posts-an-hour fame  got another job and apparently
they keep him too busy to post much,  so he's  been on the quiet side
lately.
Jan moved to Chicago, she's here but she's quiet.
Jessyka says something now and again, but she can go for months at a time
without surfacing.
I'm sure some people are just gone for good.
Chris'  roomate and friend Kyle began posting,  in an unusual style more
often than not,  and at some point he angered and drove off some regulars
you'll remember,  like Marquis and Bruce.   Bruce actually jumped off the
list for a few months,  and i think Marq just kinda went into lurker
hibernation but didn't really jump ship.
Now Kyle has stopped posting and is hibernating, i guess.   But speaking of
Kyle,  there is another romance sprung from the list.  Kyle met Sarah  (in
your neighbourhood at the Moonlight Gardens show, perhaps?)  and they have
been a couple ever since as far as i know.  (pitching the ball to either
Kyle or Sarah so they can pick it up and run with it if they want to here).
There were quite a few losties in attendence and together for that Moonlight
Gardens show.   we had a little gathering in a local park as well,  and i
must have accidentally forgot to take the alcohol out of my trunk before
driving down to Cincinnati,  so there was that... i have some photo's i can
e-mail you if  you're interested.

There was a Christmas concert at the Emery Theater in Cincy,  and i gather
there were a lot of losties at that show as well.   after that show is when
Bruce came back to the list,  so that's a good thing.  he's a charter
member,  isn't he?  damn close,  if not,  would be my guess.

And the culmination of the list has to be the recent marriage of Jay and
Lynzi,  in a big church in Pennsylvania.   Met at an OtR concert,  married
and living happily ever after!  doesn't that just rock!!

well, Denise (and all)  that's my take on "bring me up to date people".
chime in with what's up with you.
Other losties  (lurking or A-List)  chime in as well.

i'm glad you're back, Denise,  and i wanna see pix!!!!

jg