Jack's Plastic Orange Oars

At 10:31 PM 11/16/99 EST, Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
>>Once I got used to Jack's lovably peculiar singing style, I really
>>enjoyed his music--and as I stated a bit earlier, I'm all for bringing
>>plenty of bright orange oars to the Dec. 11th show
>
>Would someone PLEASE tell the rest of us the damn story?

OK... here's how I remember it... help me out if I left anything out (Amy,
Megan, Melissa?)...

The whole "orange oars" story precluded his final song for the night... and
I can't seem to remember what it was called, or if he even told us... but
it had something to do with the sea... I'm not nearly as good of a
storyteller as Jack, but bear with me.  I'll try to do my best...

Anyway, apparently the "hip" thing to do on the south side (?) of England
was to have a boat.  When Jack was younger (maybe his mid/late teens), he
bought a sail boat.  He hadn't ever gone sailing, but he bought the boat
and a small 5 HP(?) motor to attach to the sailboat.

As he got out into the harbor he came up to the mouth of the harbor, where
the current was travelling faster than the rest of the water.  He powered
his way through the mouth of the harbor with his small motor.

If I recall, this is where things started going "not so good."

First, he was a fair distance out in the sea- he wasn't sure if he was
still moving away from the shore.  He decided to drop his sails.  Around
this time, he went back to use the motor, but never sailing before and not
knowing what to do beforehand, he had not chained his motor onto the back
of his boat.  He went for the motor, and knocked it off the back of the
boat.  Glug, glug!  (The seemingly accurate noise he made of it was
hilarious)...

So, he's stuck outside the harbor with *no* sails and *no* motor.  He
couldn't tell if he was moving or not, so he decided to drop his anchor.

Prior to going on this sailing excursion, he had taken some sort of Coast
Guard lesson about signaling for help, or something.  The only thing he
could do was use the plastic orange oars from the boat and wave frantically
towards the Coast Guard station, which was probably 600 yards off.  To add
insult to injury, the part of the beach that he had sailed in front of and
gotten stranded was the nudist part of the south beach.

So, picture Jack.  Picture Jack on a boat- no sails up, motor lost at sea,
anchor thrown overboard- frantically waving two bright orange plastic oars
from his boat as it bopped up and down right off the coast of a nudist beach.

It was quite the story...

Dan

NP: Caedmon's Call - Intimate Portrait

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/
+- Life is so much cleaner on the page (chromakey)-+