Re: REVIEW: OtR @ Canal Street 11/13/99

"Chris Emery" <chris.emery at ecoutlook_com> sez:
> > i keep hearing these pokes about his singing.  what does this really mean,
> > anyway?   singing is best left to someone he hires?
>
> Yeah, pretty much.   Nice guy, decent guitarist.   Vocals, not his strong
> suit.

His singing voice reminds me a lot of Elvis Costello.
Think "Good Year For the Roses"...  Once I got used
to it, it was good.  And he showed a lot of vocal
control on the East Berlin song.  Maybe not the most
beautiful sound you've ever heard, but good to listen
to.  The boat story, though funny, was way too long.

I thought the 2nd half of the Saturday show was a lot
looser than the 1st half too, but it seemed to me that
it was due more to the songs not being as well rehearsed.
There were definitely some moments where Linford, Jack,
and David were watching each other very intently, not
quite sure where the song was headed.  But I liked it
that way - like Dan said, much looser and more fun.

I was with some friends who had not seen the band live
before, and the consensus was that the songs from GDBD
seem warmer and less dark when performed on stage.  I
certainly like "Circle of Quiet" better with the 6-piece
lineup than the 3-piece on ASW.  "All I Want..." also
benefits from more depth.  I'd love to have a live album
with this lineup.

Mike.