Re: VoL vs OtR

--- Candace Elder <CElder at providence_mb.ca> wrote:

> Both VoL and OtR have frequently changed line
> ups, yet, there seems to
> be a completely different attitude with the changes.

I think the difference lies in that Vigilantes of Love
has always been, and will always be, Bill Mallonee.
It's been his ship from the beginning. I even remember
a joke in a liner note or interview a long, long time
ago which stated that at a certain show most of the
audience probably consisted of people who had been in
the band at one time or another.

OtR, on the other hand, started out being known as a
band with a band identity. So when the lineup
dramatically changed, so did the identity of the band
to a certain extent. When it began to dawn/change as
being a "Linford as Queen Mum" thing (although I could
never see Linford in pearls, a yellow dress, and a
pill box hat) attention seemed to shift from a "band"
identity into "somebody's band" with an identity. I
don't think the transition ever was a very smooth one,
as far as some long-time fans are concerned.

I've grown to expect a different lineup everytime I
see VoL, but I'd like to see some stability with OtR.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I get to open for VoL on
the 13th at Brady's? Maybe Bill will make me the next
member of the band! HA!

bink

=====