Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #804

In a message dated 9/28/99 12:39:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kelvinbailey at juno_com writes:

<< Example - Suppose you believe in gravity and I don't.  If
 we both climbed our way up and then jumped off the top of the Empire
 State Building, said gravity would act on me just as much as it does on
 you, despite what I may or may not believe about it.

 Just some thoughts,

 Kelvin >>

but think about this, although gravity is the closest thing to absolute in
the physical world, there is a lot of relativity concerning its influence
upon an object.  for example, the masses involved, the distances involved, et
cetera.
this is actually a very bad analogy for truth, because with gravity,
everything exerts a gravitational pull, where as not everything exerts a
"truth-ful pull."  and the analogy gets even worse when applied to the "truth
of god" because not everything is a god, or at least according to your
personal bias.

however these are merely the thoughts of an english major turned physics
teacher, feel free to disregard, ostensibly agree with but snicker behind my
back, or even outright mock.

tim