RE: Over-The-Rhine Digest V2 #804

> >I don't think you can assume there's only *one* truth.
> >
> >Everyone's looking for *a* truth - the truth that is true for them.
>

> Boy oh boy, didn't we just open up a can of worms.  That kind of thinking
> just won't hold water.  It's what we here call a self-defeatig absurdity.

That's what we here call a 'straw man argument'.

>  There is indeed truth, and truth is objective, constant, and universal.

Kelvin's first assumption.   Can we have a mathematical proof?   Or at least
a side of the debate that doesn't rely on 'faith'?

> It doesn't come from the human mind, individual or objective, but exists
> before and outside of us.  Finally, it doesn't cease to be truth just
> because some very educated people coose to play games with it and doubt
> its existence.

Second assumption.   With an intangible concept like this, shouldn't we
define "truth" first?

> Example - Suppose you believe in gravity and I don't.  If
> we both climbed our way up and then jumped off the top of the Empire
> State Building, said gravity would act on me just as much as it does on
> you, despite what I may or may not believe about it.

Comparing "higher truth" to the physical concept of gravity is like
comparing apples and Spiderman comics.

HTH, HAND!

--
chris.emery at ecoutlook_com

NP:  Infectious Grooves _Groove Family Psycho_