Re: Jack & Patience

> Are you kidding? No way! I really don't think Patience lives up to what TWHF
> promised. Sure its looser and the arrangements are less crowded but the
> guitar is way off somewhere and Karin's voice is drowned in delay. The best
> thing about it is the cover (and the booklet is way too thick!)

Since this is all very subjective, I'll jump right in with my opinion.
Patience is right up there with TWHF (my fav).  The whole recording has
that ethereal, wide open spaces feel that they were trying to attempt
with the "big empty room" set up that was discarded.  Yes, Karin's voice
is layered, and somewhat delayed, but is there anything that can make
her sound bad?  I think not.  I really enjoy the multi layering effect.
(I noticed it on the latest C. Junkies relese with Margot T--)--And the
guitars are *all* Ric.  I have no idea what you mean by saying he's
off.  could you explain?  And as far as the drums--they're spot on.  I
don't think they could be any better than they are.

I agree with you on a few points here:

> GDBD is something unique, the atmosphere,
> the simplicity and the sheer strength of the songs that stand up without any real production.

and

> I can't imagine the band playing without Brian >  It was the perfect back drop to Jack's guitar playing.

I can't agree more here, but not because Jack and Brian were so "meshed"
but because Brian has so much talent.  He has the ability to do extended
jams, such as IID, June, and still be the perfect backdrop to the moody,
"twin peakish" guitar moanings of G. Jack.  Did anybody hear that demo
they did back in 98?  The tracks 8 & 10 on ASR are from that demo, I
believe, and all those tracks they laid down with Mike were so ethereal,
so hauntingly gorgeous that I was proud of the way they were
headed--especially Goodbye--man I can still hear that one in my head.
Then they lost Mike--then they lost Brian...You know, maybe Brian's
demise stemmed from the loss of Mike--who knows?

(about jack)
>  His playing is off the cuff, brash, unpredicatble and damn excellent.

I think it was summed up best here on the list earlier when someone said
that they thought Jack wasn't being allowed to improvise, but just play
certain parts.  That's the way I see it--or maybe it's Jack's choice. I
don't know, but I bet the day he starts playing off the cuff, brash and
unpredictably is the day he gets his walking papers.  We already saw
where that got Ric.--only nobody will "have another band to listen to"
'cause Jack sings horribly.

> He stops OTR becoming predictable.

I don't see it, my friend.

> is this a touch of the old "another amazing guitarist on the list just
> waiting to be discovered and pick up where Rich left off"?

I don't remember *any*--and I do believe I've been on this list since
before you subscribed the first time, chap...

> The beginning of the end of 'post nuclear, pseudo-alternative, folk-tinged
> art-pop', what a relief!

(!)

Let's all hope and pray that Brian comes back again--or that he at least
joins another band that will allow us to enjoy his gift a little longer.

-m

np: Patience(ss)