the need for a rhythm section (was Re: Thoughts on OtR...)

Kyle said:

> > And of course their recent insistence on
>  > playing mostly as a trio without a drummer or a bassist
>  > hasn't helped their case any.

and Chris Emery responded:

>  You can't go on forever without a rhythm section.

an interesting point brought up in my music therapy orientation class this
morning.

rhythm is more important than melody...for you can have rhythm without
melody, but can you have melody with rhythm? (no matter how obscure that
rhythm may be).

i think the reason why the rhythm section got so much attention (besides the
fact that brian is absolutely amazing...) is because rhythm is something that
we feel from before the time we were born in the heartbeat of our mothers
into the time that we die.  everyone has a constant rhythm to them, including
the way they walk, the way they talk, the way they breathe, etc.

i think i hate being a music therapy major.  i'm becoming way too critical
about this sort of stuff.  at the concert all i could do was watch karin play
the guitar and think, "wow, professor purse would be upset at the way her
left hand is positioned."

i still like the band.  but TWHF is my favorite cd, followed closely by
Patience.

just some thoughts....