Re: [Tori/Alanis question]

Alfred B Johnson <hoopyfrood at juno_com> wrote:

I really don't think there would've been Lilith Fair if there hadn't
been<br>"You Oughta Know." That song was a commercial explosion. Then the
whole<br>album was. Very few albums are that successful with that many
singles. <br>It put women artists on the popular music radar in a whole new
way.

I don't know if you can give any one thing credit for something like that, I
think it was a combo of her, other good female musciians, and it just simply
being the "right time" for women in the music industry. I worked at a radio
station back then--and it was crazy--the female explosion--just like the
awful
pop explosion of today, can ricky martin really get all of the credit for
that??

I expect good things from Alanis, b/c she's heading toward a<br>peak, rather
than falling swiftly from "You Oughta Know." (By the way,<br>Flea and Dave
Navarro play on that song. That's part of why it kicks<br>butt.)

BUT--did their contribution "make" the song? Hmmmmm. . . --just playing
devil's advocate I don't believe that--

Tori's first album alone earns her props.

True--and she really has gone through a lot of stages--some good, some bad

Ani Difranco plays her guitar like a six string drum, and I love it.

You know, the whole time I was thinking of Alanis/Tori I just kept thinking
that neither of them have anything on Ani--DAMN!!

On a side note--a good friend of mine who loves Tori went to the T/A concert
and walked away from it totally unsatisfied with Tori's performance and said
Alanis put on a killer show.

Another one--the first time my mother heard Tori she asked me "what that
woman
told her parents that she did for a living because she definitely isn't a
singer!"--I always thought that was cute and funny--you gotta love your mom!

np: ani _up up up. . ._