RE: Tori/Alanis question

> Hmmm.
>
> Which one will be remembered in twenty years?  Both.  Definitely.
>
> I really don't think there would've been Lilith Fair if there hadn't been
> "You Oughta Know."

Don't tell Sarah McLachlan that.

> That song was a commercial explosion.  Then the whole
> album was.  Very few albums are that successful with that many singles.

Hmm...let's dredge up a few examples:
Pearl Jam _Ten_ had 5 singles (as I count it)

> That said, Alanis is, at the very least, growing as a musician and
> writer.  And she hasn't produced anything that was teeth-shattering
> aweful.  **Warning: disclaimer**  She has had songs be
> **made** aweful,
> on the other hand, by supermegahowlingpleasegodhelpme over-playing.

I dunno, man.  I thought her stuff was teeth-shatteringly awful on first
listen.   Repeated listens didn't improve my opinion much.

> Among my personal rules: if I like a song, and I have the
> album, and it's
> new and frequently played, and it comes on the radio, I change the
> station.  Non carborendum illegitimi.  Or something like
> that.  Don't let 'em kill your tunes, dude.

Do what I do - listen to your local NPR station.   I heard Monk's live
'Tattoo' from _Blink_ a coupla weeks ago.   Gave me chills, hearing Monk on
the radio.

> Tori's a genius.  Tori did that amazing version of "Smells Like Teen
> Spirit."  Tori's first album alone earns her props.  She
> believes a lot
> of things I disagree with, but, from what I've heard, which is not
> enough, she makes complex, personal, moving art like nobody's
> business.

I think if you're gonna go into Tori's covers, her covers of 'Angie', 'I'm
On Fire', or 'Purple Rain' are more memorable than the Nirvana cover.

> Then, so will Debbi Gibson.  Put her paragraph is shrinking (shoved in
> next to Back Street Boys, New Kids, Marky Mark, Take That, N
> Sync . . .

Marky Mark will be remembered for 'Boogie Nights' long after everyone
forgets his white-boy-rapified Lou Reed cover.

--
Chris Emery
chris.emery at ecoutlook_com

NP: Tori Amos - Vancouver, BC 7/19/1996