Re: Frost

hoopyfrood at juno_com writes:

<< Anybody have any insights into where RF fits in the line of American
 poets?  Who's he following and who follows him?  That sort of thing?
 He's not a very good modernist.  (So certainly not a postmodernist.)  Is
 he somehow a realist?   >>

Aha!  Something to which i can ply my considerable powers of rhetoric and
nonsense, coupled with a sincere desire to confuse and quite possibly induce
a mental quagmire...

RF is the last of the romantic realists, which consisted of the generations
following the civil war (but preceding The Big One), and once said that
anyone could write free verse, it takes an artisan to craft the real deal
(which is apparently what he wrote ) (please accept the "tim's translation"
here).  His themology encapsulates the carpet bagger's quest to conquer and
civilize the south (cf.  Good Fences Make Good Neighbors...Fire and Ice, etc.)

how does this relate to OtR?  Possibly because they are among the last of the
romantic realist musicians (feel free to agree with ol' tim here), or at
least the last of a particular generation.

"'Talk politics.  I got a degree.  I can keep up.  I got a B.S. from
Schenectady.'  The B.S. stood for Boots and Shoes, meaning he worked in a
factory."
                                                --Jim Shepard "Batting
Against Castro