The Sisters of Mercy

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 02:03:47 EDT, Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/26/99 4:05:56 AM,
> SANZENBACHER at novell_chem.utk.edu wrote:
>> You first listened to the Cure and Sisters
>> of Mercy in college?  I dont think I heard
>> any of them in college, i remember them best
>> from high school...i love the cure...Sisters
>> of Mercy I havent heard in so long i am
>> beginning to forget what they sound like...Sarah

> Sisters...hmmm...um, they sound just like Rosetta Stone!
>
> Sorry. In-joke for Goths. I really tried to resist.
> I did. Honest. Really. I did.

Your joke perplexes me, Ysobelle.

I appreciate some the Sisters' earlier music, but I have found Eldritch to
often be a poor lyricist and uninteresting creator of song struktur.
Furthermore, Vision Thing did not sit well with me. It seemed to be mostly
repeated chorus and guitar riff for much longer than is tolerable (Dr.
Jeep).

My favorite Sisters songs are Bury Me Deep, Marian, Gimme Shelter (Stones
Cover), and most everything on "First and Last and Always."
It's unfortunate that they lost that sound and decided on mediocre rock and
roll.

After having said this, I reinforce that I am a Sisters of Mercy fan, and
this is why the criticism.
With that, I announce with much pleasure that on September 25th, the Sisters
are going to perform at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. I read that
you live in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, if I'm not mistaken, Ysobelle.

Unfortunately, they are not touring through Cincinnati.
All other dates can be found at:

http://www.blackplanet.net/tour.htm

Back to your joke. Rosetta Stone, don't they sound like Mr. Reznor these
days? Perhaps the joke is in that they started as a Sisters replica, and now
a NIN replica? Or have they moved in to their own?

As far as the Sisters tour goes, Andrew Eldritch himself will be in
attendance, but what I do not know is the band lineup. I am skeptical of the
Sisters' rejoining until I hear this new sound. Perhaps they will sound like
Rosetta Stone?

Thank you,

Bartholemew

"Beware thoughts that come in the night.
They aren't turned properly; they come in askew,
free of sense and restriction, deriving from
the most remote of sources."
William Least Heat Moon [William Trogdon]