Re: Re: college discoveries

In a message dated 8/25/99 6:44:38 PM, gibby at one_net wrote:

>Goth not only existed in the early eighties it existed in the seventies. It
>think in  79
>the big arguement over Sioxie Sioux, Robert Smith looking so much alike took
>place. I do know for sure that Boys' Don't Cry came out in 1980.

Actually,  Goth originally arose from the same roots as punk, and at about
the same time (late 70s). Siouxsie and Robert were really punks, if you think
about it. But Goth branched off early on, with Bauhaus and Joy Division and
all the rest. Personally, I think the high period of Goth was in the late
eighties, around the time of SOM's "Floodland," which for me was _the_
seminal Goth album.  And that was at a period where, at least in England, you
could hear Sisters or the Mission on the radio. Which still blows me away.

There's a never-ending debate on the Pittsburgh Goth List about what actually
constitutes Goth. Personally, I think it's fragmented to the point where
there really isn't any such thing as pure Goth any more. I don't think this
is bad. I just think it's more of an umbrella phrase now, covering some
industrial (which has become another umbrella phrase in itself), some EBM,
some darkwave, some metal...it's a musical melting pot. I have to admit I'm
somewhat ambivalent about this, but then again, it hasn't caused my Sisters
or Rosetta Stone or Cure CDs to disappear, so I can always go wallow in my
past if I choose. And I have gotten into Apoptygma Berzerk and Project
Pitchfork, too.

Which is probably much more than you ever wanted to know about my personal
Goth philosophies.