Re: college discoveries

No the Goth classification for the Cure,  Sioxiue, did not exist then but the
term gothic as a destinct music type sprung up around 1984. The 1980's term
gothic has very little to do with the 1990's term gothic. Gothic had more to
with a Germanic "March our skinheads to battle in Valhalla" kind of thing it
was, more Grandiose and "Conan the Barbarian" than depressing, Think Carl
Orf's "O Fortuna" the first part of Carmina Burana as the classical gothic
sound. The Depressed vampire look and feel was just called alternative or
rebeatnik depending on where you were from and or you age. Gothic didn't have
a look. Somehow the alternative beatnik look got coined as gothic and any
music that was associated with that look is now called gothic.
As far as 90's gothic, its be around since the late '70s. As far as 80's
gothic or shall I (call it goth classic) it was around since about 1985. I
think the Key players of that classic goth style was Sisters of Mercy. I
think Rammstien carries on that Classic Goth sound although they are
considered industrial.