@The Return of the Queen

In a message dated 8/18/99 10:42:52 AM, chris.emery at ecoutlook_com wrote:

>> and what's wrong with Chris' ass, hmmm? :)
>

>Nothing at all, thank you very much!
>

>Just ask Ysobelle

HEY! Wait a minute! What have you all been talking about in my absence? I
swear, I go away for a week, and the conversation takes a STEEP header. No, I
do NOT know what would happen or who would get splashed were Drew to aim the
inimitable Vogel Mojo at me-- personally, I think it sounds like the basis
for a Wet T-Shirt Contest from Hell. And what exactly are you implying about
my intimate knowledge of your posterior, Chris?

In case anyone cares, I was in Bermuda for a week. Yes, thank you, I had a
lovely time. No, I did NOT get a tan. There is a slight blush to my gothly
pallor, and that's about it.

I did however read a wonderful book, and I spent a great deal of time
thinking I had to come home and tell this list about it-- see how I think of
all of you all the time?

The book reminded me very strongly of "The Lion, The Witch, and the
Wardrobe," and also of "The Wizard of Oz." Oh, and maybe a bit of "The
Neverending Story." It's called "The Hounds of the Morrigan," by Pat O'Shea.
It's steeped in old Irish folklore and heroes and villains (which I find
utterly yummy!), it's funny and exciting and well-written, and though I'd say
you could read it to your kids, I never felt it was childish. I felt more
entranced by it, and I kept expecting Mr. Tumnus to come along and offer up
some tea. It concerns two children, a young boy and his argumentative, tough
five-year-old sister, on a quest across a land that's not-quite-Ireland,
pursued by the hunting dogs of the tripartite evil queen, the Morrigan, but
aided by the wise and powerful god, the Dagda.  For some reason, I thought
over and again how the C.S. Lewis fans hereabouts would enjoy it. So go out
and buy it, then come tell me if you liked it.

Oh-- it raised one fascinating question in my mind. As anyone who reads
"classic" folktales knows, most of the stories of ancient heroes such as
Cuchulain or King Arthur or the like have definite ends, even if a return
might be suggested. Cuchulain leaves Tir-na-nOg, and in touching the earth,
crumbles to dust. Arthur's body is taken back to Avalon by the Three Queens,
to return when Britain needs him most-- maybe. But what if someone writes a
thoughtful, well-done, modern addition to the the story? Does it-- _should_
it-- become part of the folklore of that hero? And if so, how?

Just wondering.