Re: Underground vs. Not-underground

Kelvin wrote:
>It's a vicious form of musical snobbery, but I bet we're all guilty of it
>to some extent.  But, as Marie and others state, the disappointment with
>bands who finally "make it" has to do mostly with how the music too often
>suffers.

Yeah, but honestly, I don't think Caedmon's Call's _40 Acres_ suffered from
being on a good label and getting a 7 figure advance.  Honestly, I thought
the new CD would be more polished and Nashville-ized, but actually it was
quite the opposite from their more sleek Warner self-titled debut.  _40
Acres_ had a more "rough" feel- if that could be said for a pop/rock/folk
band.

>Hasn't that been a point of discussion even with OTR?

Yeah, it has been discussed before.  Personally with OtR, I would like for
them to be able to make as much music as possible.  *If* they signed with
Capitol, hopefully they'd get to make albums more often than one every two
years (normally the case when signed to a BIG label).  Maybe they can still
do some indie stuff on the side- like Caedmon's Call did with their two
indie Guild CDs since they got signed...

Either way, though- if Over the Rhine got huge, sure we'd lose touch with
some of the intimate shows (they're almost too big for Canal Street Tavern
as it is), but I still don't think that would change my idea of their
music- as long as they kept putting out great stuff.

>As much as I might be guilty of musical snobbery from time to time, I am
>also the occassional sucker for pop drivel - when it's good.  Yes, I
>bought Ricky Martin.  SHAKE YOUR BON-BON!

I do like a lot of pop stuff... but I don't think I'll go get Ricky's CD... :)

Dan

PS- Dave Mustaine of Megadeth just simply CREAMED his opponent's on Rock &
Roll Jeopardy.  Moon Unit Zappa had no chance- but she was funny.  And
George Clinton tried making a comeback, but Dave Mustaine ruled the show.
Cool...

NP: Faith No More - Angel Dust

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
    dantemm at erinet_com    http://www.dlm.net/gc/
  "They only come out at night... or in this case-
+-     the daytime."    -Police Chief Wiggum      -+