Re: thoughts on christian art

first, let me say i take no offense to your using me as a springboard...i don't believe anyone's
ever found that use for me before, and i must say i quite enjoy being that much more functional...

that said, let me clarify...keep in mind, i am "frustrated" by what i see as closemindedness...i
do appreciate where you say ...

> I can appreciate good art, but there aren't enough people out there who
> will stand up and say something is bad art when it's something other
> than religious in nature.

by no means am i defending secular art as a whole...i'm just saying that i have experienced a
general condemnation of secular art as a whole and that i find frustrating and at times
embarassing...i feel there is a lot of good secular art in the world...there's a lot of good
christian art as well...but i don't feel that christian is synonymous with good...i have a great
deal of respect for someone who can say, hey, i really didn't like what that movie was saying, but
i think it was good...or vice-versa, i really like what the artist is saying here but i think he's
saying it quite poorly...what frustrates me most is the muddling of like and good...

you used the example of south park...personally, i think this to be an atrocious representation of
humanity and it really irks me that young kids are watching it...i have no doubt that in more
cases than not, it affects behaviour...

however, i haven't experienced it enough to say with authority why it's good or why it's bad...i
just don't like it...i do think that it crosses some ambiguous, invisible line in my head into an
area of something that's not worth sitting through to find out whether it's good or bad...i admit,
it is a flaw in my theory...

but i guess what i'm really saying is if someone tells me they don't like something, i expect a
more thought-out answer than "it's bad" or "it's stupid"...those aren't reasons...tell me there's
no unity...tell me the characterization sucks...tell me there's a poor use of color or light...or
the editing sucked...then we'll have something to talk about...then we'll have an intelligent
disagreement...that's really all i'm looking for...
> So if you think Christian Art is largely all crap laced with deceit and
> greed, look around-- so is everything else.

i don't think christian art is largely all crap...i think that more often than in the secular
market, people are permitted and encouraged to produce crap in the name of Christ...that, in my
mind, doesn't excuse bad art...because it's still bad...

i hope you, mark, know that i am not attacking you either...in fact, i'm glad that we can talk
rationally about our differences...so thank you...

mgn.