Re: thoughts on christian art

>but i guess what i'm really saying is if someone tells me they don't like
something, i expect a
>more thought-out answer than "it's bad" or "it's stupid"...those aren't
reasons...tell me there's
>no unity...tell me the characterization sucks...tell me there's a poor use
of color or light...or
>the editing sucked...then we'll have something to talk about...then we'll
have an intelligent
>disagreement...that's really all i'm looking for...

On these terms, "intelligent" disagreements can only concern technique, not
theme.  Given this take on the situation, I cannot intelligently discuss
why I think a particular entertainment is morally wrong-- "bad," if you
will.  I don't think this is true.  I think I can use my intellect to say
that a certain film or program is a failure simply on a moral basis.  And I
think I can say that moral failure is enough to inform my opinion on an
artwork, regardless of its technical artistic value.

I hope this reaches the list, because yesterday's messages haven't shown up
yet.

jnf