Re: they call this Christian?!?

People like putting things into categories because that is how most people
learn. As children, we learn to place the square peg into the square hole.
We are taught to put all the same colored blocks together. We sort our socks
this way too. I think a learned habit that we begin at a very young age; all
the like things go with the like things. Anything that does not fit into our
categories is weird or "uncool". Personally I like the things that do not
fit into any one category, but it confuses and frightens many individuals.
It is understandable why they do not like that which is new.  Categorizing
and labeling is very useful especially when we are considering dangerous
things.  For instance, how would we know that a type of snake is poisonous
unless we label it as such?

 Hmm Christian art... I agree, it is up to the individual as to what they
consider Christian.
Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel and he detested religion – at least
according to my art history professor.  Yet, his works are considered very
religious because they deal with religious themes and are in important
religious settings.   Therefore that distinction is up to the individual if
you find a song that sends a Christian message to you that is great. I do
not think it matters who the artist is.  Many people can find a message in
almost everything and it seems to work well for them.  I know one person who
is very offended by OTR because one of the lines in Daddy untwisted “I don’t
want to tell you lies like presbyterians or spies”. He happens to be a
Presbyterian, unless there is another meaning for presbyterians then I can
understand his point.

The term Alternative music never made sense to me, I liked it because it
was/is music that is not being played on the typical radio station… it makes
me wish for when Channel Z in Cincinnati first began. They had no announcers
just music that was not top 40 and commercials.  Now I listen to WOXY when I
can tune it in on my car radio… I can not even get it in my room at home.
What I am saying is that Alternative is music not frequently on the radio
station.

I don’t like labeling but until our society breaks this habit then we are
stuck with it.

Debbie

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:10:07 -0400, Andrew Sten wrote:

> I think when you call something "Christian", it automatically puts that
> object/person in box, with which many people have preconceived notions,
> usually bad.
>
> Some people would consider Christian art as something that represents
Christ
> or Christianity in it, such as lyrics, words, pictures, etc.  Other
people
> might consider Christian art to be anything made, written, etc. by a
> Christian.
>
> I think that the distinction is up to the individual.  Being a Christian,
> would consider much of OTR's songs to be Christian because, to me, the
> lyrics are very poignant and have a strong Christian message.  But that
is
> just what I get out of them.  Someone else might get something else.
>
> A similar question to this is what is Alternative music now?  A few years
> ago, a lot of the music that is now popular was considered Alternative.
> would probably consider the music that some of you listen to Alternative
and
> vice versa.  It all depends on your own point of view.
>
> I guess the point I'm trying to make is why do we have to label music?
Why
> can't we just call it music, or art.  Does it have to be a specific type?
> Don't most people think that labeling others is wrong?  At least thats
the
> idea I get from society nowadays.
>
> Just the view from my little corner of the world.
>
> Andy

3174685 ICQ number
and the cadences we hear may grow different in coming years still I'll tell
you that I couldn't love you any more than I do right now
and if you should ever leave then I would love you for what you need
-OTR Rhaposodie