Re: I may be eclectic, but at least I'm a snob.

Jaharnish2 at aol_com writes:

<< ok.
 around these parts, you cannot compare beauty to quality.
 one refers to how something makes you _feel_, the other
 refers whether something is _true to blueprint_ or not.

this is where I disagree.  I feel that quality is something we, individually,
make the call on.  Quality becomes something that makes the music worthwhile.
 It is almost the last, undefinable bastion, the ultimate denominator.  Why
do you like THEM?  I'm asked.  Because I like them.  Why do you like THEM?
Because they have a quality sound to them.  It is completely indefensible, it
is a personal reaction.  It says, I think they have something to play, and I
think they play it very well.

However, don't confuse having standards with being a snob.  That's my motto

 if someone around here confuses quality with beauty,
 it's their kiss of death.

 quality = cold hard product. non-human.
 beauty (or passion, etc.) = expression. emotion. human.
  >>  beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as well as quality.  If you are
referring to a schematic appreciation, some people can say that's a quality
car, other people can say that's a beautiful car.  Does that make sense?  I
hope so.

That's my personal opinion, quality is the final touchstone of defense, the
indefensible.

"I can't lay an egg here.  I'm an arteest.  I need.....atmosphere."--Daffy
Duck

NP:  Huey Lewis + the News-Sports
         Gordon Lightfoot--Gord's Gold
        Enya--The Celts
         DMX--It's Dark and Hell is Hot
        OTR--ASW

NR:  The Flounder--Gunter Grass
         Other Inquisitions--Jose Lious Borges
         Puppet on a Chain, The Golden Rendezvous--Alastair MacLean
        Crime and Punishment--Fyodor

tim