Re: Re: @ Perfect Flag Burning Day

In a message dated 7/7/99 11:50:26 AM, Ysobelle writes:

<< Well, not one for making blanket statements or anything, are you? What
evil? And all of it? That's a pretty big plot of land. And take back
ownership from whom? The Japanese? It's the Belgians or Swiss who own a
larger chunk of American real estate, as I recall. And if you're talking
about industry, well, Honda of America employs an awful lot of Americans,
last I knew. We don't function in a vacuum. It's a global economy, and a
global community. We're not immune to the effects of, say, the Japanese
recession. And living without oil from the Mid-East would make life a whole
lot more difficult over here. Personally, my world would be a far emptier
place without Ribena from England. >>

Well OK. Who controls how the congress votes? Show me how many votes there
are that special interest lobbies don't control. If you think this isn't
true,you need a lobotomy. The Japanese have huge lobbies. Anyone remember how
much Ronald Reagan got when he left office to speak in Japan. Think that
wasn't a pay off for him letting them dump all their steel here? Honda of
America? We assemble them here.And the money goes back there. How many US
Automakers are in Japan? How about the religious right,the gun lobby,Archer
Daniels Midland, The tobacco industry to name a few, See no vote by proxy
there?  The truth is almost every vote taken, is based on legal bribery.
Yes,that is the number one problem.

I don't want to hear global economy either. First,even up the playing
field,then fair trade. We should not subsidize the Mexicans and Canadians
with the jobs of American workers. Free trade must be fair trade. This
premise that if you are against the trade policies that somehow translates
that you are against free trade is a misrepresentation of the truth. And I
for one don't want a world body deciding what the founders gave the  three
branches of government the duty to do.
We should decide fairly these issues with these things in mind.
a) Our sovereignty
b) Our best interest
c) The voice of the people and not corporations
d) and a reverence to our constitution and history.

I stand by my blanket statement and my country. I sometimes find it sickening
that some people would always rationalize the sacrifice of others for the
common good.
Put a human face on your belief and watch it change. I watched the Canadians
dump their beef in America and starve the small farmers. Did you see a price
drop on beef,because I missed it. I have seen the steel mills in my area lay
off workers because Bill (Mr Free Trade Clinton) Didn't really care about
their plight. And although they are mostly back to work now,why is it that
they have to play catch up for years with their bills and suffer? Alexis
Herman warned about it and he failed to heed it. So all those beautiful
ideals and platitudes don't cut it, when there is a human cost that was
avoidable.