who's art? Tribute CD/ownership thread

Marie's 2 cents...

Lynzi carefully considers:
> >I can't figure out any of it.  how much of the work
> >the artist creates is theirs, how much belongs to the
> >audience, the reader, the possesser of it?  is it
> >still theirs, even when they give it away?...is the art
> >the personification of the subject?  making the
> >subject to real owner?

Jen offers:
>The way that I've always looked at it is, art work isn't *owned* by the
>artist, but rather is an extension of self, of soul....Where as a veiwer of
>it can identify
>with the painting to extremely high degrees, but because they could never
>have created that unique work, it is not an extension of themselves,
>merely something that they identify with.

I realize that ownership is an important issue, especially since we linked
this discussion with the Tribute CD; but I kinda wonder why.  Are our lives
not enhanced by just possessing these things in our private realm of the
untangible, whether they're created by us or by someone else?  As far as our
creations being extensions of oneself, I tend to agree.  Also, As Jay said,
some of us decide to survive by this extension; thus giving up that precious
baby for adoption.  As long as Lindford etc. are secure in that "sharing"
(and I assume they are since they've done it 10 years), I am.  Legally, we
all are :)

And I would just like to say that I think Lynz is a great one to do the
writing.  Excellent notion :), Bruce.  I know we haven't officially met--
I'm Marie.  I also really appreciate what you're doing.  The spreadsheet
didn't post "well."  Is there any way you could send it as an attachment to
me?

Bruce mentions:
>(I think THAT'D be something, walk into a major label to
>negotiate a contracts and say, "here, here's a well done indie >tribute
>album to us...")

Indeed.

BL>likely that a good number of sales will come from this list.

Count me as one!

Edward Jay posits:
>...i have no intention or desire to "become"
>Over the Rhine when go in to record Murder.
>i absolutely want to NOT be Over the Rhine.
>that's the point - i may not even "identify" with OtR
>during the recording of this song. i most likely will not.

>when each of us go in to record our song, the result
>is that person's interpretation of the song. i hope i hope
>i hope that no one intends to re-create something that's
>already been done by the band themselves.

Can I get a' Amen?  I'm so excited about just getting to hear this project.
Hopefully the creators here maintain and uphold the integrity of the
contribution they make.  It wouldn't be worth the effort if not.  Here's a
chance to make some meatloaf of all this minced meat, to make something
happen with all the wonderful ideas aloof.  In the end, it's the action
that's out there and remembered.  The ideas just die with us if they're
never birthed.

Honking really loudly-
Marie :)