Re: good reads, modesty

> I have been wondering about Flannery O'Connor.  I
> know that many of you like
> his work.  What's all the hype, and what would
> be the first book to read of his?

(straightening her bifocals)

well, JM, first off.  Ms. O'Connor is a striking,
intriguing southern writer.  her stories are very
glaring and gritty.

shy readers beware.

the endings typically plunges you off a cliff.  some
very, very perplexing images and situations.

the glaring imagery of truck stops, bus stops, canary
yellow hawaain shirts.  old southern pride.  good
Christian arrogance.

mostly, she wrote short stories.
my personal favourites:  "A Good Man is Hard to Find,"
 "Everything that Rises Must Converge," and of course,
"Parker's Back."

I've found several of her stories in American
Literature Textbooks.

of Ms. O' Connor:

"...Highly unladylike...a brutal irony, a slam-bang
humor, and a style of writing as balefully direct as a
death sentence."

Time Magazine, quoted on the cover of the second
American edition of A Good Man Is Hard To Find

(huge grin)

how appropos.

I recently read Anne Lamott's "Rosie" and I'm about to
finish "Possession" before the exam in two weeks.

really.

I spent the day working in a library.  so many
volumes, smooth of leather, worn with age were heaped
into my hands.  I wanted to stagger over the pages,
but they paid me by the hour.

Morte D'Arhtur-with Rockwell Kent's Illustrations
Canterbury Tales--with Aubrey Beardesly's
Illustrations.

(sigh...)

lindsey, signing off.