@@@@Re: Kent-area help@@@@

hi.

if i were going to Kent / Akron (not exactly the culinary mecca of Ohio,
mind you,  i'd wanna stop in (in my car) to either/or Swenson's Drive In
(several locations) or to Sky-Way Drive In (west side).  I remember growing
up on the west side (where there is also a swensons)  and frequenting both
restaurants as much as possible.   I always preferred Sky-Way, but Akron in
general seems to prefer Swenson's.  both are great, you can't go wrong.

Let's say you're a steak lover.   I've never been but the reputation is
famous here.  And it ain't cheap.  And it looks like something in the
ghetto. but the restaurant i'm talking about now is called the Diamond
Grille.   It's right in downtown, on Market just west of Main.   I've been a
vegetarian these last 14 or 15 years,  but if i weren't, i'd have been to
the Grille by now.  And if it's on a business trip, and he can expense
account it, this is your stop.

Akron's food/restaurant centerpiece, also not cheap, would have to be the
Tangier,  a bit farther west on Market St.   It's decor is Moroccan   Glitz.
Over the top!   shmaltzy but fancy at the same time.    and they have shows
in the cabaret room.

Honourable Mentions:
Bangkok Gourmet---thai.  go on sunday and you get music and thai dancing.

El Rincon--- cheap atmosphere, damn good food.  the cops eat here.  always
packed.   low prices,  killer margarita's.   our personal favourite
restaurant.

Spaghetti Warehouse---downtown.  Near Canal Park (the new minor league
baseball stadium.   cool atmosphere decorations,  italian food items
predominately.

Quaker Square has a restaurant, and also a hotel.  the restaurant has a
somewhat large model train display.   i can't vouch for the food, probably
it's fairly decent,  but a stroll through Quaker Square is kinda fun,  and i
have taken a batch of listies through it once before, including Jessyka.
Quaker Square is built  in (actually it is)  an old Quaker Oats
shipping/manufacturing/processing plant, so it's kinda rustic factory chic,
and the old silo's that they used to store the grain in are in fact the
hotel rooms.   you oughta at least pop in.

I can't imagine wanting to go to a chain restaurant, but if you did we have
the list:  Chi Chi's, Don Pancho,  Don Pablo, Olive Garden, Applebee's,
Cooker's,  i think there's gotta be a TGIFriday's here somewhere, i hear
radio spots for it,  Roadhouse,  some of those new steak places i never go
to...they're all here.
North Akron, Montrose  (way west akron)  and The Strip  (way south akron,
actually in North Canton are your chain restaurant hot spots.

Kent:
If i had to eat in Kent i'd go to Brady's.  cool place.  but....

honourable mentions:

Pufferbelly Ltd.   near Brady's, not far.  Made from a converted old train
station,  train decor, naturally.

Henry Wahner's--  excellent choice for meat chewers.  pronounce it
Way-ner's.  friend Kenny goes there,  he likes the Prime Rib, i think he
says.  sometimes i bite on little ian's ribs, but i never draw blood.
that's as close to ribs as i get.  steaks, ribs, German food.

down the road from Kent is Brimfield (your highway 76 dumps you off in
Brimfield when you get off at the Kent exit.), and there you'll find Rudy's
Beerhouse or Beergarden,  and they have very German food and it's killer,
and on the right day you can have a buffet.   there are also polka bands
that play in the backyard  if you're in the mood for some al fresco dining
and dancing.

Things to do:

Canal park, see a baseball game.
Inventure Place.  Hands- on exhibits of scientificky stuff.  never been yet,
but is supposed to be cool. i wanna get there someday.

Always watch the skies, because where you guys get Goodyear Blimps whenever
you've got a major sporting game happening, we've got it/them all the time.
Blase to us, might be cool to you.

We've got a zoo.   the Tiger Exhibit is new...  it's a nice ~little~ zoo, so
won't take you all day to see the aminals.

OR...
drive 45 minutes north to Cleveland and the world's your oyster....

gotta go.  hope this helps a little.

>Kent/Akron area.  My brother will be there briefly this week on a business
>trip and was hoping to at least find some place to eat that would be worth
>his while.

>np:  Plow On Boy - "Go-Round"

i'm glad i picked this one up----i really like it a lot.  and hey, now that
Terri's gone,  maybe i can shout up, "I love you, Niki!"   :-)

(at least she knows me now, right Jessyka?!)

jg