soul utterances (was Re: Moth lyrics)

jnf saith:
> > I think if my listening rack was currently comprised
>  > of Elvis Costello, Tom
>  > Waits and, worst of all for intelligibility, Cocteau
>  > Twins, I'd probably be
>  > a student of bad diction, too.

bink saith:
>  yeah, but Cocteau Twins is "unintelligable" because most of the lyrics
>  aren't really lyrics per sae. Liz sings sylables and phrases that sound
>  good together, regardless of any lyrical sentence structure. If you try
>  to listen to the majority of their stuff for the lyrics, you'll get
>  nowhere fast. (They did a funny version of "Frosty the Snowman" once.
>  it's funny just because they did it.)

hi again all.

(this is drawing from an interview i read quite a while ago, so some the
details might be slightly sketchy)
Liz reportedly was wronged unspeakably at a very young age, and she found
that non-sensical vocalizations from her soul uttered things that her words
could not. she carried this through life as a very comforting thing, and
eventually discovered that it was actually a good and pleasing sound to other
folks besides herself.
(bink - where'd you hear this 'Frosty' version? i've never seen it, and
you've aroused my curiosity here)

(uh-oh. look out, folks. jay's getting aroused here!)

*wink!*

yes, Lisa Gerrard (formerly of Dead Can Dance) frequently uses this similar
language at times, and she has said that language is easily sometimes a cage
emotionally.
her language is a beautiful one. i desire it much.
she also has said that she's developed a great apprecation for this singing
style from watching her two year old daughter sing - so freely, so boundless.

although i love a good, coherent, provoking lyric (thus my Nick Cave and 16hp
fascinations), i also appreciate this sort of expression. for me, there's
something else altogether tapped into that i may otherwise miss in the
delivery, or that the vocalist otherwise simply cannot communicate.

i agree wholeheartedly regarding lyric sheets. sometimes vocalists deliver
words cryptically enough that i'd have no clue what's being said.
perfect example: Delerium's _Karma_.
i'd frankly have no clue of most of the lyrics were there not a lyric sheet
inside...

please pardon my just now catching up with posts and reviews by the way.
i surely will read all the reviews of Friday as soon as i can, and offer one
myself.

love and peace,

edward jay

NP: Delerium - Karma - Silence.mp3

"Out of sorrow entire worlds have been built,
out of longing, great wonders have been willed"
Nick Cave - (are you) the one I've been waiting for?
<{---o<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>--o---}>
	^v^	^v^	^v^	ICQ #13819982	^v^	^v^	^v^
          http//members.aol.com/jaharnish2