Re: Moth lyrics

okay, so none of us can *quite* agree on lyrics.  what about content?

anyone have a stab at what the songs means?  I've been listening to the
song over and over--sooooooo.

I'll risk it.  :)  :)

And in defense of Karin, there have been a couple people making remarks
that her diction is atrocious, "Paul and Virzinnia" ect.  Someone even
made a reference to that at the last roundup during the Q&A (Brooce was
that you?)  Her response was something about boiled ham...  I personally
LOVE the way she forms her words.  This is *her* personal style.  It's
how she chooses to set herself apart from the crowd as original and
distinctive.  I think some folks may believe she is just being lazy.
This is not the case at all.  Karin has been classically trained and is
quite capable of giving voice lessons, probably, to any one of us.  If
I'm not mistaken this is even what her degree s in.  Both K&L have
college degrees ya know.  Ric too.

anyway, on to the explication of the poem, er song, er poem...um
whichever.

I see the singer wrestling with an issue and addressing someone who is
not present at the time of the song. *same old question...If I answer,
I'll confess, I will make just a guess*

*there's no saviour hanging on this cross (possibly referring to the
speaker as the cross)

"Is this suffering you feel the loss?--it's closer than I ever came"
--meaning did you really feel a loss when you knew you'd lost me?

Possibly the addressee is alienated from the speaker who is asking an
open ended question:
(this is a paraphrase) what kind of sacrifice do you see when you look
at me?  why do you continue to beat yourself against me?  You're just a
burning moth without a flame.
--or you're just trying to make yourself a martyr when you actually
professed nothing.

I sense anger or possibly hurt in the tone of the singer.  The whole
"Isaac" part could be a reference to a struggle between parent and
child.  After all, killing the singer would end all the problems (cut
away all the poison, all the yesterdays i.e.. all the past).

"I let you go, I know. I know it's best" is the singer reaffirming her
distance she's placed between herself and the one she's singing to.

"And my answer to the years of strife is the way I live my life" --or--
See I did okay without you.  look at where I am now as a a testament to
that.

"Maybe you should turn your face tonight"
--is she saying leave- or turn the other cheek?

"learn to see yourself in a different light"
--see yourself how others see you?

If He took my place tonight, oh would Jesus be surprised"  this is a
tough one--possibly the speaker is referring to something personal
between the speaker and the listener.  Maybe the listener was
hypocritical in some way?

read sarcasm in "wouldn't Jesus be surprised if he saw you the way I see
you?"

--or maybe more accurately, wouldn't YOU be surprised if you knew Jesus
was looking at you through my eyes?"

Does the CD list song writing credits?  I seem to hear a lot of Karin in
this one.  It's tempting to look at this song as being part two of Daddy
Untwisted.  Perhaps Karin's words this time instead of Linford's.

And again, just more thoughts.  Where's Don Smith when you need him?

NP: "Moth" 3-27-99