Toronto

I don't remember who I was talking about this with, but I told them I would
post it.  As I have said before, I'm doing a series of poems on different
cities.  This is Toronto:

Toronto

Toronto was clean, almost too pure
and the people came close to overly friendly.

Masked, she asked my friend to see her beauty.
The other danced for me, from her car,
clutched it like an airplane seat floatation device.
On the floor, I danced for her.

She was the warmth of a childhood blanket
and I wanted to wrap my self firmly in it
when I tripped into sleep.

Instead I slept in the bath.

Though I may never fully know
either side of Toronto,
she languaged love into me
without ever speaking the expected French.

She made me so joyful in rain that I skipped
pressing the down button in the sky-rise of my soul
the elevator doors opened,
she pressed ground and my heart descended
in the way that only lovers anatomy allows.

Having betrayed her once, the trust given was more precious,
shaking on the floor I somehow lost part of me.

Toronto was clean,
which left some with the desire to litter.
It's people were a silent glow,
which filled my friend with the desire to shout.

Me?
I just spent all morning looking for the currency exchange
hoping to get the best percentage rate on my American Heart.

--
Doris-  Do you have many friends Benjamin?
Ben-  My mom says I will in college.

- Safirstein (Waterworks)