Re: murmers after murder.

Jay (Jaharnish2 at aol_com) doth write:
> sometimes i wish they'd throw in some big fat drum 'n bass,
> or scratching, or something more experimental.
  <snip>
>  but i enjoy medium to large-sized explosions at
> times. mean toothy explosions, bliss-lined rich feedback,
> or flourishes of electronics.
> examples: Portishead, Ruby, Golden Palominos...

With those wishes, you should run, not walk, to buy last
year's Morcheeba release, "Big Calm".  The drum 'n bass
are very, um, chunky let's say.  And if you have those,
then get the Solex album too (I forget the name).  And
Single Gun Theory ("like stars in my hands").

> even something of an occasional worldbeat reference
> would be so warmly received, ala-Loreena or Dead Can Dance.
> it would work. it would be appropriate, IMO.
> i also believe it would boost record sales skyward.
> (think doumbek, pipes, tin whistle, djembe, sitar...)

I don't know if I agree with you on this.  The band couldn't
just throw in a lot of percussion and have it work; they
would have to rethink the whole arrangement.  The rhythm of
Portishead works because the arrangements are build around
it.  OtR seems built around Karin's voice and the guitar lines.
Not to say they couldn't do it, just that it would mean a
larger shift in the sound, a la U2.  Too many bands try to
add the sound of the month and end up with a mess.

---
Mike.            Nevertheless, I didn't heed the warning  Of my pending fate
alchemy at crl_com    It's my practice to disregard omens  Until it is too late