Re: Matrix

>ok, enough ranting about this what amounts to be a merely above average
>film.
Is being merely above average wrong?  It's just that with the tired TV-into-
movie retreads and Arnold Schwarzenegger's latest bang-bang-shoot'em-
up action flick masquerading as SF, I find it refreshing that the cinematic
offerings of late have begun to get back to the deeper and philosophic
SF that was lost after the incredible success of Star Wars.  As great as
that show was, nearly all that came after focused on special effects and
action while being especially light on story.  'The Matrix' is still shaky in
the story's continuity, but it's a good try and a step in the right direction.
As for the action, it's at least explained away why the characters can do
what they do instead of having us rely on supposed super-human powers.

>i know that's a lot to ask for in a Keanu Reeves movie, but on the
>grand scheme of things, it doesn't really match up to the masterpieces.
Not in general, but in the realm of SF cinema, I believe it does.

>so
>the special effects were good,
I'd say they were great.

>and Reeves perfected his" i am so confused
>look" which he wears in just about every movie anyway, but oscar material it
>is not.
No, only in some of the technical categories that'll get swept by the new Star
Wars flick, I'm sure.

>and let me tell ya, i watched a second time, for personal reasons, and i
>fell asleep the second time around.
Well, it's just not your cup o' tea.  I'm sure I'll see it once or twice more.

later,

AaronB