Linford's question again.

So I'm listening to Sixpence on the radio at the moment, and considering that
I heard of them first here on the list several years ago. And I'm thinking,
well, here they are on the local idiot station. At least, I call it that, but
I don't consider myself an idiot-- you know the type: Top 40,
lowest-common-denominator morning show with obligatory babe and
outrage-of-the-week. And the incoherent thought came to me that hey, not
everyone who hears this Sixpence song will race, run,
do-not-pass-go-do-not-collect-$200, etc. to the record store to grab the CD.
But people of, perhaps, somewhat decent taste might.

So-- bear with me, I haven't really slept since Saturday-- should the day
come that I turn on my radio to hear, "I Painted My Name" on the idiot
station, will I worry? Will there be a rush of people to the store to buy the
major-label rerelease of Patience? (Thus, perhaps, allowing OtR to afford
roadies so Linford doesn't have to load the van outside CST himself. Nice
hat, Linford!) And if there is that rush, will all of them become ardent
fans? Passionate Rhinelanders like so many of us here are? Or will they
listen and throw it into the rest of their collection and say, yeah, it's
okay.

Basically, does Over the Rhine write idiot music?

i think there are more Rhinelanders out there. They should be tapped on the
shoulder. Think of a major-label release as a longer arm with which to reach.