Re: nashville show review

G'd evening all:

Well. most of you are lucky.  I had almost finished typing up my letter
to the list about this weekends show, and my pinky hit a (combination
of) key (s) and deleted the whole thing!  I really don't feel like
rehashing the thing again...  here's the short--toned down, muted,
boring, listlike version of the same:  please save your applause until
the end!

setlist, good--thanks Jan for reminding me to get one--BTW, Karin's
setlist has a few goodies that the other's didn't (I think).  If anyone
is interested I will send out a run down of the asides and all.  write
me.  I'll reply.

Jan--It was great to see you.  I really enjoyed meeting Fran and
Shannon.  Next CM gig, let's sit together.

Caffe Milano, bad--the more I go there, the less I like it.  I mean the
atmosphere is okay, but the prices have jumped steadily up and up, and
if the audience interaction with the band was better, I would be more
tolerant of that, but let's face it.  It ain't no home turf venue and
besides that, the place is just kinda "sterile" (I'm quoting Hazel
Henderson here).  I went to a VOL concert on Friday  night, at a place
called JJ's Market just about a 5 minute drive away from there, and it
was great.  Seemed very real--as opposed to the Caffe--where i get the
feeling that I'm seeing a concert in a test tube environment.  I mean
the tables are set up very nice, and the neon is placed perfectly above
the band, etc whatever, but I feel like I'm being observed.  Like some
promotional guru is watching me and saying to his throng: "see they will
have a good time.  This is the proper blend of music, food, drink and
ambiance--we even have the proper wall hangings that are conducive to a
good time!"  sheesh!

Personal aside, I noticed two things at the show.  Linford met with some
(pretty) people at the bar after the show where they proceeded to tear
open 25 copies of GDBD thr afterwhich he took them backstage and signed
them and brought them back out and handed them over.  Who were these
people? (record co. people?).  And there was a guy sitting up next to me
at the stage who had a HUGE camera and kept taking  pictures of the
band.  Later at the merch. table, he traded the roll of film to Hazel
for a TShirt.  Who was this guy?  Where are the pictures going?  Can I
have one?  Hehehehe...

oh and Jay Harnish,  I sat with your friend Adam during the show.  We
both wore our OTR shirts, and chatted about "the band/our experiences
with" both before and after the show.  It was neat to meet a complete
stranger and be able to strike up such an in depth conversation like
that--although I still couldn't help feeling like we were comparing jock
sizes IYKWIM, AITYD.

Oh, the band will be playing both Bogart's in Cincy, and Brady's in Kent
next month--providing plans don't change (count on either the 23rd or
30th of the month).  They will be playing as a six piece--which I have
it on good authority that that sixth member will eventually be
introduced as Randy Cheek formerly of the Ass Ponys (sic).  He was with
the band on CBS This Morning--which reminds me, my tape of that show now
has mysteriously developed a roller coaster high/low fade in the
volume.  What the #$%^& is this, and can it be fixed???  Help, I need a
good copy bad...  someone help--anyone--ahem, anyone whose name rhymes
with juice...

I know, I know.  You all are thinking "this was the short version???"
Well it was Concrete Blonde who said " I could never say anything in 20
words or less." but *I* can definitely say that I identify with Johnette
Napolitano on this one--yeah, I realize I just butchered her name.

Well. I'm off here.  Spring Break awaits!

PS.  Juan, I talked to you at JJ's at the VOL show, and I sat right
beside you at the OTR show.  How did you get notice of both shows?  Are
you on this list right now?  You sure seemed surprised when you came up
and were seated at stage front and center.

Peace,
Mark

"and my answer to the years of strife
 is the way I choose to live my life"