nashville show review

morning, list...
pardon the mellow-ness of this post, but i am still recovering from too much
wine and coffee.
last night's show was great.  i have never been to an otr show that wasn't,
though, and i do regret that i don't have much to say that i haven't said
before.

the show was at gibson's cafe milano in downtown nashville.  the place
appeared to be under new ownership or management (new menu, new name
"gibson's", etc.), but  it was still the same great atmosphere.  the show
began at 8; our reservations were at 7.  we got there (me, fran--my
girlfriend--, and my best friend shannon) and the hostess led us to our table
right down front.  we ordered a nice bottle of red wine and an appetizer.
karin and linford walked out from the back, and linford stopped by to chat.
"nice table," he said.  i agreed.  i told him his hair had gotten long since i
saw them last.  he grinned sheepishly and mumbled something about not having
time for a haircut.  i told him his question to us about signing with a label
had caused some controversy.  he said that he had read some of the posts,
mentioning specifically the "one where someone was calling me the antichrist."
he seemed only mildly annoyed, insisting that "i can take it, but i just
wondered why this person chose to be anonymous."  he asked if i thought he
should respond to it, and i said no.  granted that is just my opinion, but "to
deal with the scoffers, well, that's part of the bargain" (wayne kirkpatrick).
our bottle of wine arrived then, and linford remarked "this place is
expensive."  i tried to talk him into picking up our tab (the $17 chicken and
$26 veal arrived later), but he gracefully declined saying, "we better sign
that record deal first."
: )
anyway, onto other matters...
otr brought along with them niki buehrig to open.  she was excellent, but i
knew i had heard that voice somewhere.  she kept playing, and i realized that
she is the former lead singer for another cincy-based band plow on boy.
remember mike georgin?????
anyway, she was very good, but unfortunately she had forgotten to bring any
cds with her.
otr began around 8:30 with "jack's instrumental."  (that's what the setlist
says anyway).  i don't have much to say about it.  it wasn't just jack;
linford played as well.  maybe the title is referring to the "other" jack
(i.e. jack's valentine).  who knows?
the rest of the set went as follows...
the seahorse
bothered
etc. whatever
moth
little blue river
goodbye
circle of quiet
it's never quite what it seems
all i need is everything
lucy
faithfully dangerous (with wade jaynes)
jack's valentine (with wade jaynes)
latter days (with wade jaynes)
encore: go down easy (with wade jaynes)

anyway, needle and the bruise, and the world can wait were all listed on the
setlist, but not played.  i was so disappointed.  i wanted to hear all the new
stuff.  on the other hand, if the rest of it is anything like "it's never
quite what it seems" then i will pass.  i was downright bored during this
song.
for the most part, the sound was great at the show.  i could hear and
understand karin for once!  i love "moth" more and more every time i hear it.
fran said that this was the best she had ever heard "all i need" and shannon
loved the "tearing apart an insect limb by limb" version of "faithfully
dangerous," but i was left wanting.  don't get me wrong; it was a great show,
and i had a wonderful time, but...
i don't know how many more times i can hear latter days without being ill.  i
think if they'd mixed in more new stuff with gdbd it would have made it easier
to take.  i appreciated "circle of quiet," but still, i wanted new stuff.  i'm
selfish like that.
listee mark asked if i thought we got shafted a little bit here in the
south--as opposed to being in ohio, and i said no, but maybe i am changing my
mind.  maybe it's easier to try out the new stuff in front of a "home" crowd,
but waaaaaaaaah, i wanted to hear it too!!!
anyway...
got to meet (or re-meet) listee mark and his girlfriend.  but that's it.  i
looked for others, but i didn't see anyone.
i hope i don't sound like i didn't have a good time.  i did.  i always do when
i see otr, but like i have (over)emphazied, i wanted more.  new stuff.
something.
you know?
anyway, that's my review.  we got some good pictures (i hope) from out front
row table, and if they're good, i will send it to someone who can post them on
the web.  anyone?
jan