in pews, in the dark.

the radio and three hundred miles of road made a good backdrop to thoughts.
from the front seat, Ross and Mel said nothing.  I mulled over the passions
and rants and desperation of my previous hours and days while trying to mend
my clothes.  befuddled me, that a thin thread woven up and down through
cloth made a garment whole.

(later, as the side ripped out of my coat, I discovered this would not be
the case...)

we tumbled onto the cracked sidewalk.  I was laughing from fear and
excitement--because the people lined up there could be as much friends as
strangers.  a few brief introductions would confirm this.

we all stood there for hours.  there were hello-my-name-is, glad to meet
yous and long conversations.  we mortered downfalling brick with chewing
gum.  we feasted on brownies, cold chinese food, mountain dew.  we laughed
wildly, loudly, skipped more than a little.

it was so good to meet you.

and crowding into the warmth and dark of the tavern, I decided it's
appropriate it's called so.  pews and stained glass made this place a
different sort of sanctuary--with the bar on one end, the intimate stage
opposing it.  walls painted ruddy--they made it deeper, warmer inside.

we cluttered about in tables and pews and chairs.  we soon were intimately
squeezing with the folks we'd just known--more out of necessity than
flirtation,
   though I'll add a wink to that statement.

Elsah and Ryan of Wisconsin--you both charmed me right off at
  six o' clock (was it the gum?) and continued to do so
  throughout the evening.  a familiarity of wit and ideas
  sparked and kept us bantering and dreaming for hours.

I always feel like reigning queen of the universe in your company, Ms.
Ysobelle, Mr. Emery, and jg--though Mr. Drew and Mr. Bruce may join your
ranks.

Jay.  enjoyed you very much sir--especially the kilt!  hmm.
   Michigan...never been there.  maybe when I have a car...

Steve.  very, very happy to have met you.  I wanted more time,
  and a little more collected mind to talk for a while--which
  means, my massive mailing to your person will resume.  I was
  very glad to have met you.

the effect of Mr. Callender's presence is a topic I will not
   divulge...

there were others, I am sure.  I wanted to talk to everyone, for a long time
or just a little longer.  it was a pleasure.  aye, it was.

Karin, Jack, and Linford filled the stage.  funny, their presence there.  so
real, so close.  funny that real people effect and touch you so much.  it's
like they introduced us all and had not a clue as we watched them.

I loved watching Karin.  baffled.  baffled that her voice seems liquid
inside of her and that with slight movements of her lips you get a sound
that makes your insides squirm and rocket.

they all seemed settled, subdued.  connected.

Karin may have something against acknowledging consonants as she sings.

Jack wore no polyesther.

Linford is phat.

I'm tired now.  the words don't care that I can't write them and they're
marching around anyways.  maybe I'll get out my tape recorder and ramble
them into solidity.  my conscience reminds me of novels and duties and such.
and the dishes snow-piling.

but I'll tell you more later.  just wanted to get in my edgewise.

so much to say.

goodnight, my dears.

lynz.