Re: taping

In a message dated 3/20/99 9:52:42 AM, mmcvey at uic_edu writes:

<<t escapes me why people would go against the express wishes of their
favorite band, if they had any respect for them, and tape them against their
wishes.

What do you all think about bootlegging Over the Rhine? I find it
disrespectful and dishonest, not to mention against the law.

Of course, if Over the Rhine was financially secure and invited bootlegging,
like the Grateful Dead did, that is another story.

The Grateful dead allowed it well before they were secure. They allowed it
because they said that they were done with it,whats the difference if someone
tapes it. Bootlegging is great for historical and archival purpose. If they
dont want it to happen they can be more assertive about it. A lot of artists
make it difficult to tape shows.
How much are they loosing by it?
Next thing I'll hear a re-hashing of Garth Brooks vow to get royalties from
the sale of used cd's. It's silly. It's a little different if you are
profiting from it.
I have a copy of a great Richard Thompson bootleg of  his famous "all request
shows" What a disc! Reportedly ,after he found out about its exisistance he
quit doing the all request shows. Now thats definately a  devestating loss to
the fans because of this. However,you couldn't pry that disc out of my hands
with a crow bar! As dishonest and disrespectful as that may be,I am glad
someone did it.  If he would have I would certainly have supported him and
bought it.
Long live the outlaws!
It's all relative, and such a small indescretion.

NP: Jeff Beck   ----------> WHO ELSE