Re: taping

That nice Mikey wrote:

> No doubt bootlegs can be fun to make and listen to. That is irrelevant,
> however. The point is that bootlegging Over the Rhine against their wishes
> is showing them disrespect, is illegal, and, unless the bootleg does not
> dimish the demand for their published recordings, reduces their earnings.

To which I respond:
I don't think that any of the people who were discussing the
possibility of a "bootleg" recording were going to tape the
concert so that they could sell that recording at a profit to
themselves.  I remember asking about the possibility of taping
the show earlier this week because I was sad that I couldn't
be in Dayton this weekend to witness what will no doubt be an
amazing show.  It was my hope that someone would tape the concert
so that I could share in a price of that wonder...and it makes
me somehow sad that you would automatically assume the worst
about people who make bootlegs, especially on this list.  A
bootleg tape of this show could only increase my respect and
admiration for the group of fine minds and musicians that is Over
the Rhine, and it certainly would not make me less likely to buy
their recordings.

Of course, I can speak only for myself.

And as a side note...I don't have many "bootleg" recordings
because I feel the same way about "mass-produced" bootleg recordings
as you do.  However, one of my most prized recordings is a tape
I made of the Verve Pipe's performance at a music store in East
Lansing the night that their first major-label CD (Villains) hit
the shelves.  The group of people present was ...similar to the
group that will be at the OtR shows this weekend... a group of
people who had supported the band for years and years, who
genuinely cared about the music and were there to show their
continued respect and support for some excellent musicians.
The tape quality is horrible, but the feeling it captured is
incredible, and given the choice I would do it again.

Take care,
Raven-amy