Re: Linford's Letter

Maybe this is just to "hear" myself speak, but I've been following
Over the Rhine since '92, have bought and subsequently given away
practically every tape/c.d. they've ever released (some of them
twice), not because I didn't like them, but because the folks I gave
them too often lived in other countries where Otr's music was hard to
get, and frankly, I felt pity for them.  I've seen the band countless
times, though much less frequently since I've moved to Georgia 2 1/2
years ago.  Over the Rhine's music touches me -- we resonate at the
same frequency.  Coming from where I am, I would LOVE to see the band
make it big, as long as it doesn't hurt them
personally/psychologically/emotionally/spiritually getting there
--they are people, and though they music is important, no one should
have to sell their soul to make it.  I would LOVE to have some new
Otr tunage (I'm enjoying a few live bootlegs to pass the time till
the next release), but don't want the band to 'rush' out a c.d. just
to please their fans.

Linford, if you've got one in you, and can do it right, release an
independant c.d. as necessary,  and continue to flirt with the
labels...when a label signs an indy band they usually expect you to
re-record tunes off your independantly released c.d.'s anyway, so
maybe some of those same songs will show up again, in a better, or at
least different form later.  Lord knows I love the later versions of
Faithfully Dangerous and Latter Days more than the c.d. versions, so
songs can evolve.  Eventually someone in the industry will have to
look up and take notice, or at LEAST, long after you're dead you'll
have a monstrous resurgence in popularity, like Nick Drake and other
musical geniuses.  And, thanks for asking us...it reminds us fans
that we are part of this thing, in some sense, too.

with abundant blessings,
amen and Amen,

mr. shannon lee lewis
SLEWIS at libris_libs.uga.edu
whatisthis at geocities_com
"...for a moment, Lord, I think
 I understand about you and silence...
 but what a racket I make in telling you."
--from Praying with George Herbert in Late Winter
by Tom Andrews
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/3038
http://www.negia.net/~dorme/
Now Playing;  Vigilantes of Love "Live at the 40 Watt"
and Arvo Part "Kanon Pokajanen"