Re: This is dumb, letter, yadda, yadda. . .

Ooooooh Boy!!

Can I first, most importantly, thank the band for asking our opinion!!  Obviously, OTR feels--like most of the listies do--that we are all some sort of an entity, a family.  I am personally thrilled to hear that the band cares this much about us.  They obviously are dealing with a real dimmena.

That being said--I hope that OTR (and I know this sounds cheesy) will do what they want to do.  People sign record deals only to back out of them all of the time.  It is a huge risk, I realize that.  Someone mentioned Ani Difranco.  Yes, Ani is a perfect example of someone who's achieved a fairly high level of fame on her own.  It can be done.  It just depends on what the band feels like they want to do.  Do you guys want to stay at this level, and I know some will disagree with my next statement-be somewhat limited with what you can do musically because of finances?  (I point to the Beatles as an example--they could order full orchestras because they were huge and on a big label).  It is also true that you risk losing quality.  BUT--can't the band have the best of both worlds somehow?  I mean, this may sound naive, but why can't they keep most creative control when they sign on?  It's really also a question of whether they want to be made into posters and such, isn't it??  That could be wrong, too.  As my post is proving and as most of the previous ones on this subject have proven, this is a tricky topic.  My main point is, as has been said before, I don't think OTR will lose any fans.  I think we're all here for the long hall--good, bad, or whatever.  Just keep making music!!

Life is full of risks and choices, that's the fun part.  I don't think you will lose too much in the trying.  Nothing is permanent.  There is always a way out.

Finally, to that novkhwohgo whatever person: If you are going to be so offensive, have the decency to sign your name.  (Also give us your address and phone number so we can call you and egg your house).
--Just kidding, guys--sort of

In the words of Liz Phair:
"It's nice to be liked,
but it's better by far to get paid.
I know that most of the friends that I have don't really feel that way.
But, if you could give them just one wish,
how much do you want to bet
they'd wish success for themselves and their friends,
and that would include lots of money."