Re: XO (was"Monk in Philly")

I want to know the thoughts of God.  The rest are details.
                  -Albert Einstein
God is in the details.
                 - Mies Van der Rohe

 "Greg Smith" <janweatherman at hotmail_com> writes:

>Totally unrelated- I just got XO by Elliot Smith. It is soooo good.
>I'd
>wanted it for a while, but Tower had a rediculous sale on it, so...
>Any
>one else have it? Opinions?

Yeah, I picked it up for something like seven or eight dollars new a few
months ago at a Media Play, I think.  I had heard the title cut already
and thought it was pretty good so I bit.

I'll have to agree with you that it is an excellent album, albeit a
little too "british" sounding for my tastes (more of an "Elvis man"
myself).  The lyrics are what get me -- in the last track, "I didn't
understand," there's this soft voice singing out "what a fucking joke"
"you once talked to me about love/ you painted pictures of/ a nevernever
land" in a song that sounds a little like the Beach Boys' "Don't Talk,
Put Your Head on my Shoulder."  It cracks me up every time.  Musically, I
think the melodies and complex harmonies are fantastic.  Very well done.
I was pleasantly surprised by the album.  Don't know why music stores
seem to have to lower prices on this one to get rid of it...  Maybe we're
freaks, Greg...

FWIW,

JON