Re: self-promotion+a netiquette request

---OncleBoo at aol_com wrote:

> >  > > > and the Catholic church have been substantially better at
seeking
> >  > > > social justice for the poor than most Protestant
fundamentalists
> >  > > > have been.
> >

> >  ever seen the movie "The Mission?"
>
> "The Mission" is easily one of my favorite films, and although it
won the
> grand prize in Cannes the year it was released, I don't believe it
got the
> praise it deserved here in the States.  The opening scene is one of
the most
> powerful I've ever seen, and both Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons
give solid
> performances.  I highly recommend it.

anyone who wants to see a similar movie made about *protestant*
mission work, see "at play in the fields of the lord."

i think that, in general, neither the catholic or protestant tradtions
in light of missions and social justice are blameless. to discover the
worst of catholic social "justice" pick up a copy of the oxford
compainion to church history. to get the same about fundamentalism,
read "stealing jesus" by bruce bawer. read both with a grain of salt.

let's have a flowery moment here:

catholics, protestants, fundamentalists all have their imperfections.
all have inconsistencies. all have their storng points. and *all* are
part of the body of christ. we have our different tradtions because we
are each trying to seek Christ and act out His kingdom here on earth.
we are a force for redemption in the world, and when we act out his
love, we are at our best. when we (as He said he would not) condemn,
we are at our worst. when we condemn each other, we are as low as we
can get.
if my post condemmed anyone, i'm sorry- i was really only being silly
and having a bit of fun at the expense of some coffee brewers.

as far as i'm concerned, despite any doctrinal differences, all of you
christian listees are my brothers and sisters in christ. we are one
body with many parts, as st. paul writes, and we need each other if we
are going to be christ's body and his presence on earth.

to all nonchristian listees, my apologies for what might be an
irrelevant and annoying thread. i consider *you* to be God's children
as well, and i hope none of you feel excluded by all this.

love,
john.