beyond coffee (was:self-promotion+a netiquette request)

 newbie Mikey McVey writes:

(FYI, newbie here referrs to those new to this list, or those lurkers
who have never posted before)

fundamentalists

> > ever seen the movie "The Mission?"

> nope, but I would be interested.

it shows how imperfect a world we live in. a Catholic Mission ruled by
Papal politics. although it takes place in the 1700s, there is much to
be said today from it. (i am not Catholic bashing.)

> If it contradicts my claim, fine. I only believe this is true in the
> context of the modern Americas, what I know of the social
> teachings of the church, and what I know about protestant
> conservatism. And I can vouch for the integrity and value of the
> Catholic community center where I teach English to poor immigrant
> Mexicans.

funny you should say "Protestant conservatism" since traditionally and
stereotypically, it is the Catholic church which is often seen as
conservative. don't get me wrong here, please, for i am NOT trying to
start a flame war....

one thing to keep in mind is that referring to Protestants as a WHOLE
as being conservative is simply untrue. you are probably familiar all
too well with the "Religious Right." sadly, i think that's what comes
to mind when many think of Protestantism. that is not to say that
there are not conservative Protestants, for there are. Lutherans are
different from Baptists are different from Episcopals are different
from Brethren..... I would agree that many Catholic churches in the US
provide good mission services to the poor, but they are not the only
ones who run soup kitchens, shelters, medical facilities for the poor,
etc....

i can understand the comment someone made about falling  out of
"churchianity." that, my friend, is the problem. many churches spend
too much time thumbing noses at each other rather than working
together. this even goes for some churches within the same
denomonation, in my experience.

no church is perfect. the fact is that some churches are better at
outreach and services to the needy than others. some are too afraid.
some are under-equipped, or do not have access to what they need for
such tasks. there are many reasons that go beyond the Catholic vs.
Protestant argument. quite honestly, i get tired of it. it's plain
silly after awhile.

i think it's wonderful that you are teaching English to these people.
keep it up. i wish all Catholic and Protestant churches had the
integrity of the centre where you work.

wow. did i write all that?

bink